So I’m not a morning person and I kinda feel bad for my husband. Every morning he gets ready in an unearthly 20 minutes and then has to sit around and wait for me. In an effort to save our marriage I have come up with the following shortcuts to help get out the door quicker and a less annoying manner.
1) The biggest time suck in the morning is washing and drying my hair. I’ve switched to washing my hair every other day and use a dry shampoo on the days I skip. This frees me up to do other things like actually picking out an outfit and coordinating jewelry. On the days where I wash my hair I let my hair air dry until it’s about 75% dry and then blow dry it the rest of the way. While I’m air drying I use the time to get dressed and put my face on.
2) I have a weekday kit with just my basic work-a-day makeup look. In the weekday bag you will find just the basics – a foundation with SPF, a concealer pen, bronzer OR blush, a brown eyeliner, an eyebrow pencil, black mascara, an eyelash curler and lip balm. If I have a few extra minutes I will put some eyeshadow too but I don’t keep it in the kit. My eyeshadows live in the “other” makeup bag which is gold lame and filled to the brim with weirdness. I try to be militant about what I keep in the weekday bag because the next thing I know I have 13 lipsticks have migrated in there and can’t find a darn thing. I like a clear makeup bag where you can see everything.
3) I’m not afraid to make my products work double duty. On top on putting everything in one makeup bag, I try to make my products do double duty – bronzer can be used as blusher or eyeshadow. Using a brown eyeliner or eyeshadow to define my eyebrows. Many cream blushes can be used on the lips or cheeks like Stila’s convertible color ($25, Sephora).
4) I put my lipstick on in the car. I keep a few easy lip glosses or tinted lip balms in my handbag that I can put on in the car ride to the train or when I get to work. I try to use one that I don’t have to look in a mirror to apply- in other words nothing to bright or dark or INVOLVED. I like Burt’s Bees Shimmer Stick in Watermelon (CVS, 4.99) –
5) If all else fails I finish getting ready at work. I keep a back up stash beauty of emergency supplies at work for just such occasions. My work kit consists mostly of sample sizes I have picked up and don’t care too much about but they help in a pinch. I can’t tell you how many times I have been busted putting mascara on at work because I ran out of time at home. There is no shame in this game.
Using these shortcuts I’ve managed to cut out about 20 minutes from my routine and even the hubby has to concede that I have gotten better. How quick can you you get out the door? Got any tips?
Now that my hair is longer, I don’t shampoo it frequently. That helps a lot! I also wear the same basic outfit every day in order to streamline the number of choices I have to make. And I put on most of my makeup at the office.
Picking out clothes the night before really helps me. I even try to coordinate jewelry. If I don’t do that I visualize the day’s attire coming together in that 9min. snooze time. I have a lot of makeup bags. I really do have together it down to a reasonably number. I like the products that can multitask. Thanks.
Uhm, I only wear mascara? Hmmmm . . . I don’t think I’m the audience for this blog – but I do love to read it and imagine how it might be if I knew how to wear makeup. You’ll have to give me a lesson next time you’re in town! xoxo
Now you know why when I stay at your house it takes me forever to get ready! It used to be I just wore makeup when I felt like it and whole seasons would go by where I didn’t wear any at all. But now I feel like it’s part of my “work armor” plus I think it’s fun. Thanks for reading even though most doesn’t apply to you! you are a good friend. I’ve been thinking about writing on other areas of my life, but haven’t figured out what yet.